Childhood obesity is a major issue in the U.S., and especially in Michigan. In fact, the obesity rate of Michigan kids ages 6-11 has increased almost 500% in the last 30 years, according to the “The State of Obesity: Better Policies for a Healthier America” report, a project of the Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
HAP’s Ready, Set, Cook!® campaign works to combat childhood obesity by teaching parents and kids how to choose nutritious food and how to prepare healthy meals. Children who participate in healthy eating habits and learn good food-prep skills are more likely to maintain these habits as adults.
Our partnership with Fox 2 Detroit (WJBK-TV) allows us to help promote healthy cooking to more families in metro Detroit. HAP Chef Kristi Zebrowski supervises the Ready, Set, Cook! demonstrations airing on Fox 2 Detroit every other Saturday morning from Nov. 5-Dec. 17. Her kid-friendly recipes show families how to eat healthier, use fewer processed foods and eat out less often. These small lifestyle changes help families improve their health as well as their budget.
This week, Chef Kristi shows us how to make Veggie Grilled Cheese. You can find her recipe below.
Ready, Set, Cook!®: Veggie Grilled Cheese
Yield: 1 Sandwich
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon real butter or coconut oil
1 ounce cheese, shredded or sliced
1 slice tomato
¼ cup baby spinach
¼ cup roasted red pepper, from jar
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Lay one slice of wheat bread on a plate or cutting board and top with half the cheese, the tomato, baby spinach and roasted red pepper.
- Top with remaining cheese and the second slice of bread.
- Add half of the butter or coconut oil to the pan, and place the sandwich directly on top. Let the first side cook until golden.
- Return the sandwich to the plate, add remaining oil or butter and repeat on the other side.
Variation: Use any kind of vegetables and melting cheese you want for this recipe. To make a gluten-free sandwich, use gluten-free bread.
Learn more about Ready, Set, Cook!®
See related post: Ready, Set, Cook! Healthy Eating is Kid Stuff