The closing of major chain grocery stores in Flint left many residents with fewer options of nearby healthy, affordable food. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, this creates “food deserts” – urban areas with fewer full-service grocery stores. These areas typically don’t have a wide selection of grocery stores, especially when it comes to healthy options. Grocery options in these areas often are limited to convenience stores.
In response to the store closings, the Flint Mass Transit Authority introduced Ride to Groceries. The program provides substantially discounted transportation to large, full-service grocery stores. This means more choices for residents to purchase healthy, affordable food.
“HAP is excited to partner with the Flint MTA as a sponsor of the Flint Ride to Groceries program. Our commitment to the community extends over 50 years. Providing support to help bring programs like this to the Flint and Detroit areas is what we’re all about,” said DeAndre Lipscomb, HAP’s vice president of Marketing & Community Outreach.
To make it easy to find the Ride to Groceries shuttles, they’ll feature colorful graphics, which were provided by HAP as way of showing support for the program. When riding the shuttles, residents will receive complimentary bags to carry their groceries home.
Here are some important details to remember when you call in for Ride to Groceries pick-up service.
- The service will cover Clio, Davison, Fenton, eastern and western Flint, Flushing, Grand Blanc, Mt. Morris, Otisville and Swartz Creek.
- The call center is available seven days a week from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- The vehicles, which hold 10 to 12 passengers, have conveniently placed racks for groceries.
- Cost is $3.50 each way per rider. Seniors and persons with disabilities pay $2.25 each way.
- There is no limit to the amount of groceries brought on to the vehicle.
In addition to a direct pickup, Flint east side residents can wait at one of the special “Ride to Groceries” bus stops. Visit the Flint Mass Transit Authority website for more details.