Sit on a chair or solid surface with your back straight and tall, and your feet firmly on the ground (about shoulder width apart).
- Hold your arms out and lightly cross them in front by grabbing your elbow.
- Lift your arms over your head, and breathe in going up, and exhale coming down.
- Do this repetition six times.
- Shake your shoulders out.
- Cross your arms in front again.
- Starting on your right side, lift them over your head and bend sideways down (exhale) and up (inhale).
- Repeat on your left side.
- Do this six times.
Try all 12 Jump Start videos
Do the STEMs by themselves or check out all 12 of the MoveWell® Jump Start Daily Dozen videos presented by HAP.
Each short video features one exercise taught by physical therapist Sherry McLaughlin, who has a master’s degree in physical therapy and is a certified strength and conditioning specialist. She’s also the president and founder of the Michigan Institute of Human Performance.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
What makes Jump Start so great?
- By training your body to move the right way, you often can get rid of pain.
- Each move takes no more than two minutes.
- You don’t need any equipment.
- Do these moves any place – in your living room or outside.
- A few moves a day can help you get stronger and be pain-free.