Start by sinking into a squat position like you’re about to sit in a chair – back straight, chest up, knees bent and butt back. Your legs should be about shoulder-width apart with toes pointed forward.
Take wide steps to the right about 15 feet and back. Then move to the left about 15 feet and back. Keep your back straight, and your head at the same level while squatting.
Repeat for three sets (right and left).
Try all 12 Jump Start Daily Dozen videos
Do the Side Stepping Stretch by itself or check out all 12 of the MoveWell® Jump Start Daily Dozen videos presented by HAP.
Each short video features one exercise taught by physical therapist Sherry McLaughlin, who has a master’s degree in physical therapy and is a certified strength and conditioning specialist. She’s also the president and founder of the Michigan Institute of Human Performance.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
What makes the Jump Start Daily Dozen so great?
- By training your body to move the right way, you often can get rid of pain.
- Each move takes no more than two minutes.
- You don’t need any equipment.
- Do these moves any place – in your living room or outside.
- A few moves a day can help you get stronger and be pain-free.