Warm weather and summer holidays bring an explosion of fireworks shows. While popular, fireworks can cause injury, blindness and, in some cases, death.
Here are some tips for staying safe:
- Obey all local laws regarding fireworks.
- Know your fireworks. Read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before lighting.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area – away from buildings and vehicles.
- Always have a bucket of water and a charged water hose nearby.
- Wear safety glasses when using fireworks.
- Don’t light multiple fireworks at a time. Light one and quickly move away.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- To dispose of used fireworks, wet them and place them in a metal trash can – away from buildings or combustible materials.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
The National Council on Fireworks also offers three important reminders:
- Only buy fireworks from a licensed store, tent or stand. Never buy from an individual’s house or someone on the street. These are often illegal explosives or professional grade fireworks that can seriously injure you.
Look for fireworks with safety warnings on the packaging. These are usually regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and typically made in China.
- A responsible adult should supervise all fireworks activities. Never give fireworks to children.
To learn more, go to fireworkssafety.org.